2016: Pre season discussion

Dave

Bericht door Dave » 04-01-2016 21:30

The default rules are different from this: it's toss a coin and play one more half of 8 turns with sudden death. If nobody scores, toss a coin for the winner.

The toss is even more important then, as recieving normally equals a TD and thus a win.. therefore we decided to create overtime with 2 kickoffs.

agree that is still isn't completely fair but I feel it's the fairest way around without playing two more complete halfs.

SirSebstar

Bericht door SirSebstar » 04-01-2016 23:14

As i personally experienced it, its sometimes quite a shock when it needs to happen. So its quite good to have the rules clearly writen down somewhere.
ill give you my experience.
you start overtime with a coin-toss like a normal game. the change is, the half now only has 4 turnd. its not that you must score in 4 turns.

recap
win the coin-toss and Elect to recieve or kick.
after 4 turns, the time/half is up.
then do another half of 4 turns.
if someone scored at this point, but the other guy did not, THEN its the end of the game. If its still a draw, then continue playing untill the first touchdown/ sudden death.

this is how i understand it to work right now, Michel can you confirm this?

so, yes its still an exciting cointoss, but its not guarandeed an outcome as i thought previously.. although it does look like it, its lessened the cointoss impact, but that was not clear before to me.

So here you have a choise, do i use the 4 turns to score first and put preasure on the opposing side, and if i do it quickly, does the other team have too much time to try one more here too.
If the elfish team lives, this is a good time for that fast counter touchdown.
it is important to note that its played as a full half (with only 4 turns) so if you score on turn 2, the other guy has (3) turns left to make a counter touchdown.
Since its played as a shortened half, this is working out pretty nicely.
If you are a slow team all you need to do is play the excellent defense and not let the other guy score and then grind your way to victory.

To me, if used in the corret way, i experienced simply a longer game, you need luck on not getting key players out and preventing the ball from crossing your line, but thats exactly how the normal game is played, just with a bit more timeconstraints.
Also, the elect to kick or recieve now truly is a strategic choise that depend on your strategy instead of making it the auto win. i am actually impressed by the beauty of the system.

true, a killing team will have much more time to apply their trade. so most slow teams will have more time to hammer the opposition down, but if the fast/agile cannot score, eventually the other side wins, and thats justice..

thats how i feel anyways.
now lets see what the rules actually are...

Bjorgrim
Offline Dutch Champion

Bericht door Bjorgrim » 05-01-2016 13:43

Either way, the rules need to be clearly stated, since for open and fixed inducements allowed during playoffs seem to be different.

I still find difficult for the very slow teams to score in four turns with your OT rule and therefore I am against it. But it seems that the debate is not of interest to anybody so I guess we'll keep it like that.

SirSebstar

Bericht door SirSebstar » 05-01-2016 20:03

Assuming you just survived 16 turns to end with a tie, you get 4 turns to score.mif you cannot make it, fne, but can you prevent the other side from scoring, then its still a draw.
To clarify, you dont kickoff again after the second 4 turn, you continue playing so eventually even a slow team will make a td..
I admit i am confused. I dont see reason for your reticence.

What is your problem with the set of rules as i lined them out and what is your proposal, maybe then ill see the underlining motivation

Bjorgrim
Offline Dutch Champion

Bericht door Bjorgrim » 06-01-2016 12:53

My problem is that I lost with this house rule format maybe ;-)

Look if I am the only one to believe it's penalizing some teams, there is no need to argue: that means I am probably wrong.

SirSebstar

Bericht door SirSebstar » 06-01-2016 22:28

lets test it out in a few 4 turn + 4turns with extention matches and some drinks. In that case i am happy to be convinced otherwise. lol
Also i dont think may peeps browse the forum.. thats a shame, but if you are not there tomorrow, ill bring it up with whomever is there to see how they feel.
gn

Dave

Bericht door Dave » 07-01-2016 12:19

Bjorgrim schreef:My problem is that I lost with this house rule format maybe ;-)

Look if I am the only one to believe it's penalizing some teams, there is no need to argue: that means I am probably wrong.
I completely agree it penalizes some teams .. only I think it does far, far less so than the 'official' rules (8 turns + sudden death and if no TD flip a coin)

SirSebstar

Bericht door SirSebstar » 09-01-2016 14:21

I asked, and got as answer, that yes it penalizes certain teams, but less so then the official rules of 1 toss only with a cointoss after.

i guess if you have a better idea, lets hear it, but indeed there is not much discussion

Plaats reactie